CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 1, 2012

Inexpensive Halloween 'wreath'

I just made this for my door this year to replace my harvest theme wreath that I used to hang from September through thanksgiving. I made this from very inexpensive materials and most of them I had on hand already.

I always say that I wish I was one of those people that could look at something and say "I could turn this into a.....". Sadly, I am not. I usually get my ideas from other people who can do that.

 But, not today!

I went looking at my local Dollar Tree for some inspiration and found an orange halloween platter with jack-o-lanterns all around the edge. I then picked up this sparkly 'Boo' decoration at Walmart for $1.97 (I eventually removed the pumpkin piece from the letters to be used elsewhere in the project)
 I found these really cute pieces at Christmas Tree Shops for $1 each!! I knew I could turn them into something around my house. I got three-the one I used in the wreath isn't in the photo...oops :) Those ribbons are actually about three feet long-I cut them off for the wreath and re-used them in another capacity but I am still thinking of where these two could go with ribbons intact.

 Add some scrapbook paper and here's my wreath:

 


 
I love it! I had never made the paper pinwheel things before but once I figured it out it was simple and I am so happy with it. I used three pieces of twine (tied together for extra support) as the hanger....just hot glued to the back of the platter. Those ribbons are the ones I cut off of the $1 ghost decoration in the center of the big pinwheel. The pumpkin in the other pinwheel is the one I cut off of the 'Boo' sign. Because I had the twine and paper already in my supplies I only spent $3 on my wreath.

Now, go to your local dollar store, thrift store, wherever you like to shop and find your own inspiration and turn it into something other than what it was intended for! :)





I'm participating in this week's challenge!

Visit thecsiproject.com
 
 
 
Crafty Confessions

8 comments:

Randi@SowderingAbout said...

Love it!! Great idea!!

Follow our adventures at www.sowderingabout.blogspt.com

JoAnn SweetPepperRose said...

Very clever idea - I like using the plate ;-)

The CSI Girl said...

So cute and creative! Love it!!! I hope you will link this up to the Fall, Halloween Wreaths challenge over at my blog, The CSI Project.
You can start linking up Wednesday night! Come on over!!!
We are having a great giveaway too!
Each week is a new craft challenge!
www.thecsiproject.com

Kathy Penney said...

Great idea! So fun for Halloween!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Great idea! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Crafts a la Mode said...

Well, that is very original! Thanks for showing how to make it. Best wishes for Fall. LInda

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy said...

Thanks for linking up to last week's Tuesday Confessional link party. You've been featured and Pinned so head over and grab a brag button!

http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2012/10/tuesday-confessional-halloween-features.html
http://pinterest.com/craftyconfessor/tuesday-confessional-features/

~Macy

Anonymous said...

This looks great...and only $3!!!! I found your blog on Southern Lovely and I am your newest follower. I would love for you to follow me back so that we can continue to share ideas. Looking forward to more posts! :)

Sarah@
www.blissfulbucketlist.com

Post a Comment