Monday, February 28, 2011

Master Bedroom Decor

 I have been married for over two years and in that time I have managed to change the entire color scheme of the master bedroom. It used to be a room my husband slept in by himself but I started making it ours as soon as we chose our bedding together. I had him paint the walls and build me new valances. We bought new lamps and throw rugs. In all that time I had never changed the picture above the bed. It used to be a painting of some type of nature. I think it was a tree. Or maybe an eagle flying in the sky. I don't remember and I didn't take a picture before I tucked it away.

I finally got around to changing what went above our bed after brainstorming a few ideas and adding bits of each of them together to come up with this.

 I love everything about it. The fact that I made three of the elements in it makes me love it even more. The canvas of a rose I bought for 60% off at JoAnn's for less than $5. For that price I bought it thinking if I didn't hang it I could turn it into something better. When I ran out of ideas after deciding on the other pieces I decided to throw that in there for good measure. And to save my sanity.

The wreath I originally was going to make to hang on my door for Valentine's day. It did actually hang there for a while until I got around to putting a nail in the wall for it. The idea had been all around craft-blog-world on the internet but I got the instructions right from The Idea Room. The whole project cost me around $6 and I had the ribbon I used for the hanger on hand in my stash. Much less than I would have spent on a lot of the wreaths out in stores!
The 'B' is for our last name. I luurve anything that involes initials or our monogram. I can't explain it. This project cost about $2. I bought a chipboard 'B' at Hobby Lobby and picked out some scrapbook paper with a red/brown theme to it. I used one of my FAV craft discoveries: Mod Podge and stuck the two together. I did paint the outer edges of the B in brown though since I was only covering the face of the letter.

The center piece is my favorite. Even though it turned out the worst :( I meant to just 'age' it a bit by applying some light brown paint and then wiping it off. I wasn't too careful with my hand and then the rag was more full of pain then it should have get the idea. Not my best moment. Anyways, I got the canvas months before I actually got around to turning it into this. It was 50% off at the Hob Lob so it only cost me $4! I put the words on it by using simple iron on transfers printed using my own inkjet. I wish I would have tried some more research on how to do this since if you stand at a certain angle you can tell it's iron-on. But, I still love the outcome. The designs are actually rub on flourishes I found in the scrapbook section of JoAnn's during a 40% off sale so they were pretty cheap too. My favorite part of this one is that it's the second reading from our wedding day.
I've actually already had two requests to help people do this for their own homes using their favorite pieces of scripture or passages from their own weddings. I'm keeping this one filed away for future wedding/shower gifts.


Post a Comment