Monday, November 7, 2011

Big Girl Room Revealed!

I thought I would display some shots of how the BGR ended up looking. I am so happy with it and my daughter has a whimsical, girly place to lay her head every night :)

The white sleigh bed was the inspiration starting point. I found it at Salvation Army before we even got pregnant with Miss C's sibling. I went home and researched the company that was on the plaque on the bottom of the headboard. It turns out they are big on childrens furniture and all of their trundle beds are priced over $700!! I told my husband what I found and we went back that night and brought it home for $117 since all furniture was 25% off that day. It really is a good solid, heavy piece of furniture and will allow us to use it for many years in her room.  Of course, there are the curtains, nightstand and mobile I made her as well. She got a pink and green comforter that looks like a patchwork quilt so we stuck with pink with bits of green for the rest of the room.

The princess rug is another something I found at a mom2mom sale for $8. It comes with teacups, saucers and a teapot so you can have princess tea parties. I can't wait until the day we do that :)

Both of these toys were rummage sale finds. The doll set has a high chair, rocking cradle, bathtub, sink and lots of storage underneath it. I got it for $10 and it is starting to overflow with not only her few dolls but any stuffed animals that may need loving. The desk is a little tikes piece that my mom found for $5 and Miss C LOVES to sit in that chair and color or cause other trouble. On the wall is the vinyl sticker I like to call 'paint by numbers from hell'. It was 105 separate little pieces that took me over an hour to figure out. I had to find each piece on the 'map' they give you to help put it together and then go and find it on the sticker sheet. Of course none of these numbers could go in any order. I promised my husband this thing was staying up for YEARS after all that work! We got it at Target for less than $20.

This is a better shot of the curtains with the nightstand. But, this is an even better closeup shot of the nightstand that I took while it dried.

 Once again, the dresser we redid. It holds her name blocks and picture frames I made. The top of this thing is always covered in stuff now. I try to stay on top of keeping her room neater than mine but nobody's perfect. The shelf on the wall is also a project I re-did and the butterflies are more vinyl stickers we got at Jo-Ann's for 40%.

My husband is also very happy with it alll but most especially on how much I saved him. I think he is finally impressed with how much I am able to do with so little to spend :)

Thrifty updates

The big girl bedroom was finally finished a few weeks ago!

I decided to post all of my halloween crafts before revealing any new projects though. But, with Christmas projects on the horizon I have to get them in now. Plus, everyday gets me one day closer to my due date and I have so much to do before then :)

I bought this bookshelf storage thingy at a garage sale for $3 about 2 years ago for my mom. She had those colorful plastic bins on it to store toys in the playroom in her house. But, as the number of her grandchildren grows, so does the number of toys! We had been looking for something to use as a nightstand of sorts in Miss C's room when we were at their house one weekend and it was sitting in the hall. My mom said she was waiting for someone to take it to the curb. It was pretty beat up when I bought it and our kids had added to it so she was just going to trash it.

It came home with me and we got to work. My before picture was taken AFTER my husband had sanded it down:
We painted it white to match the other furniture and I found some scrapbooking paper I liked and Mod Podged it on there. This was a big project for me. I had never done such a big area of mod podge before or on something that I needed to be perfect. I re-did the top twice-thank goodness it's water soluble! Then I did research and got out an old credit card and used that to smooth it out and I was happy with my second attempt. I really love the overall final look of it:
It has many more of her books and trinkets on it now and is the perfect size for what we wanted. That pretty cool lamp was found at a mom2mom sale and I think it adds the perfect bit of diva :)

The last project for the big girl room took me forever to finally get to. And, it was the easiest-there is no method to my craft madness!

I found a 52x90 curtain panel at Salvation Army a long time ago. It was $2.99 and I thought it was beautiful and of course a great quality; very thick and sturdy. I really had no idea what I would use it for but I thought it would come in handy eventually.

I had brainstormed over a few ideas of how to use it in the BGR and finally decided to just use it as a window treatment just like it was intended. Except I needed two short panels so I cute it in half and made a spot for the rod to go through on the bottom half and just did a basic hem on the top half that I cut. I added some pink rick rack along the bottom that I got for $3 at Jo-Ann's. For $6 I got beautiful curtains for my daughter's room.